Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Whole Foods Cinderella Fantasy

Ok, I have a confession...I LOVE Whole Foods. I go there like 4 times a year, and always for the same 3 reasons.
1. The Outrageous Cookie. Oatmeal, choc chips, raisins, cranberries, coconut~2 die 4.
2. The No Nut trail mix.
3. The hot food bar-wicked awesome and crazy expensive.
I spend about an hour and $10.00 every time I go-and I so happy! So why, you ask, do I only go there for those reasons and love it so much? Well, it involves my fantasy life...

You see, I drive in the parking lot, park my Chevy Cobalt, slip on my Old Navy flip flops and slide up to the front doors, past the beautiful fall flowers arranged just so. As soon as the doors slide open, my Fair Trade Fairy Godmother waves her organic magic wand over me and I grow six inches. My crazy gray hair becomes perfectly coiffed in a in a $40 barrette. The $1 flip flops become classic black pumps. Baggy Khaki shorts are now a "just tight enough" pencil skirt, white cotton T-shirt morphs into the perfect shade of pink light cashmere shell. My Cobalt becomes a Land Rover. Gucci shades and Blackberry in my Coach bag and I am ready to grocery shop after a long day of meeting with my editor about my next book.

Suddenly, price is no issue. It is all about "the health of my family" $5.00 /lb organic apples, fresh ground almond butter, cold pressed olive oil, free range chicken and no growth hormone milk. Grass Fed beef and stone ground corn tortilla chips and allergy-free everything. I contemplate the merits of dried pomegrante bits versus acai berries for my salad. Shall I buy the honey roasted almonds with cherries or the almond-chocolate-cherries-cranberries trail mix? It is on sale-2 bags for $10.00 -Oh-let's get both! Fresh squeezed juices and the aisle with all the choose your own nuts and beans and granolas! Dinner from the multi-national hot food bar tonight! Organic plant-based shampoo, hand made soap, Earth Shoes, Raw Diet protein bars...Amish butter and Wisconsin Cheeses and Costa Rican Coffee-OH MY!

I fill my cart with all kinds of good for me-good for small foreign nations-good for the Earth stuff, pull out my awesome recycled plastic bottle shopping bags and pack my groceries. I pay with my Black Centurion American Express and head for the doors, calling my retired professional sports playing husband to let him know I am headed home and he should pick up our 2.5 children from the delightfully diverse private school they attend. No help for us-we are "hands on" parents. As the doors slide open, the clock strikes ...

I emerge from the store into the bright FLA sunshine. I slip on my drug store shades, break off a piece of the best cookie I have ever eaten and slide behind the wheel of my trusty American car. I pull a store brand water bottle from the cooler I have prepared and go to watch my son play baseball on this glorious day. I am smiling, happy and content. Just the way a girl should feel after living a fantasy.

P.S. Do you think you can high from granola with Hemp? Just asking!

No comments: